First, lack of proportional representation. What do you think about it? I'm curious.
Second, I just don't know if democracy is about right and wrong choices. It's about your right to be able to choose if you want to. I'm not sure there's a premise of an educated populus. Rather, there's a premise that the majority of the people will get what they want, and that's better than nobody getting what they want. Right and wrong don't have much to do with it. Look at George Bush.
In the end though, I'm not criticizing you, I completely agree. It's pretty damned unethical to vote just for the sake of it, if you don't care either way.
The most pressing reason that most people vote, in my opinion, is because others will say that people die for the right to vote in the past and in other places around the contemporary world. This seems to be what guilts most Canadians into casting a ballot, even when they really don't care. Should we be concerned?
There's nothing like a good Rye-Whisky to dull the pain of staring at the ugliness of this world. Sometimes it's almost more than a man can bear, but someone's gotta dig down into the rotten, hateful core. I'm a writer, goddamnit, and that's my job.
www.staresattheworld.com
2 comments:
I agree, but a few things complicate this.
First, lack of proportional representation. What do you think about it? I'm curious.
Second, I just don't know if democracy is about right and wrong choices. It's about your right to be able to choose if you want to. I'm not sure there's a premise of an educated populus. Rather, there's a premise that the majority of the people will get what they want, and that's better than nobody getting what they want. Right and wrong don't have much to do with it. Look at George Bush.
In the end though, I'm not criticizing you, I completely agree. It's pretty damned unethical to vote just for the sake of it, if you don't care either way.
The most pressing reason that most people vote, in my opinion, is because others will say that people die for the right to vote in the past and in other places around the contemporary world. This seems to be what guilts most Canadians into casting a ballot, even when they really don't care. Should we be concerned?
Also, way to get on the news! Badass.
Even in our disagreement (which I still find to be a basically philosophical one) I still value our discussions. Thanks for the post!
Post a Comment